A Quick Way To Determine if Your Divorce is Contested or Uncontested in New Jersey

IMG_4137 (1)

When asking divorce lawyers whether your case is considered contested or uncontested in New Jersey this is what you need to know:

People frequently come into our office and claim their divorce will be easy or that their case is very complicated and both may be true. We take the time to discuss the legal situation with you so we know what are the toughest issues to address in the case, which issues are most important to you and setting realistic expectations. If we believe that the potential client is realistic in their case goals, we will discuss our retainer and hourly rates. The most common case is a case where both parties want the divorce but there are major issues to resolve such as child custody, property division, alimony, child support and so forth. Knowing that you and your spouse want to get divorced is the easy part, it is often the other issues that make a case contested.

The only time a case is uncontested is when ALL issues are agreed to and the parties want that agreement either in writing or are waiving any interest in assets or there may be no assets to divide. We then process the legal paperwork, make the agreement, and upon execution, we submit the case to one of the Hudson or Essex County Judges for a signature and official court seal. In Hudson County, court appearances may be waived if the correct paperwork is submitted. Information concerning uncontested and no-fault divorces are here.

Visit our frequently asked questions concerning divorce cases here.Regardless if your case is contested or uncontested, we know how to handle the situation. Contact the divorce lawyers at the Artusa Law Firm of Jersey City today on  201-706-7910.

Uncontested Divorce in Hudson County, New Jersey

The Hudson County Divorce Lawyers at the Artusa Law Firm handle uncontested divorces everyday. We know how to handle these cases and handle them fast in Jersey City, NJ. You may not even have to go to court, EVER.

Jersey City Uncontested Divorce Lawyer Santo Artusa has handled hundreds of no-fault cases in Hudson County, NJ and beyond. We handle the cases effectively and efficiently so that we can reduce the stress of the divorce process and dealing with the courts. Some lawyers have zero interest in uncontested divorces as they enjoy fully litigating a case and of course, the billings $$$. While I do enjoy a good fight, it tends to be much better for a person who realizes their marriage is over to move on and to move on quickly. Information you need to file for divorce is:

  1. Your Address
  2. Your Spouse’s Address
  3. The Date and Place of Your Marriage
  4. Any insurance you have in place (medical, auto, home, renter’s)
  5. Your License or State ID
  6. Your Social Security Number
  7. The names and dates of birth of your children
  8. Your children’s social security numbers
  9. If you had any cases before with your spouse, the case/docket numbers

The uncontested divorce is the most painless way to obtain a divorce judgment. All issues are agreed upon or waived. The requirements to file a divorce in Hudson County are:

  1. You have lived in the State of NJ for more than one year. Out of that one year period, at least the last six months have been in Hudson County.
  2. You satisfy the legal requirements (pleadings-irreconcilable differences, adultery, extreme cruelty, 18 month separate and apart, etc).

Once the case is filed, you must either serve your spouse with divorce papers, have your spouse sign a waiver, have your spouse acknowledge receipt of the divorce papers. If the waiver is not signed, the party bringing the divorce, the Plaintiff must wait 35 days so that the Defendant defaults and the Court can enter a default on the docket. At anytime before or after you file, you both can reach an agreement as to the terms of the divorce  in writing by way of a marital settlement agreement or if there are no issues in contention, you can proceed with a divorce judgment and testify before the Judge. Alternatively, your lawyer can prepare other documents so that a court appearance may be waived and you will obtain your divorce judgment in the mail. The Hudson County Superior Court-Family Division is located at 595 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306. The presiding Judge is The Honorable Maureen Mantineo, P.J.F.P. The filing fee office is located in Room 105 on the first floor.

It is important to include everything you seek in your divorce complaint prior to serving or having your spouse sign an acknowledgment because if you do not, you will have to file an amended complaint and serve him or her again, wasting time.  In a divorce complaint, you can seek a divorce (obviously), child support, alimony, division of assets and/or debts, seek your maiden name back, ask for lawyers fees, child custody and any other relief that falls into the purview of the Court.

If you have a divorce or family law case, contact my team at the Artusa Law Firm today on 201-706-7910.

Uncontested Divorce Lawyer in Hudson County

An uncontested divorce is if you and your spouse agree that:

  1. You both want a divorce
  2. You both agree to all the terms concerning your children (if any), assets (if any), debts (if any) and any other issues and that both of you are willing to put that agreement in writing or your spouse waives his or her right to contest the case.

Our team can create all the required paperwork, the marital/property settlement agreement if needed, run the child support guidelines and handle the entire process from the filing to the entry of the final judgment. In Hudson County, there are cases that do not require an appearance in court, your case may qualify. If it does not, only one court appearance is required and is straightforward. We will prepare you before we walk into court.

In order to file for divorce in New Jersey, you must have resided in New Jersey for a period of one year or your spouse has lived in New Jersey for a period of one year or more. Cases that are heard in Hudson County are heard in 595 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, New Jersey.

Contact us today if you have a case on 201-706-7910.