Union County Domestic Violence and Restraining Order Lawyer

FOCUS ON 3 JUDGES: Judge Kimberly Espinales-Maloney, Judge Vito Sciancalepore, Judge Anthony D’Elia HUDSON COUNTY Family Court



Hudson County Child Custody Attorney

When individuals file for child support or child custody in Hudson County, many times they have no idea who will hear and decide their case. They are unsure if they should hire a family law attorney, any attorney or go alone. Some people are confused. Having a plan is key as is knowing who your Judge is. This is all important to know.

The Artusa law Firm is your local Hudson County family law attorney law firm and Jersey City divorce lawyers. Family law Attorneys align and prepare their paperwork and arguments for certain judges that they have experience practicing before. A good family law attorney will do his or her research as to how the Judge rules, how the Judge operates the Courtroom, how the Judge deals with litigants and so forth. One Hudson County Family Court Judge may feel that is someone owes $1000 in child support is a lot while another may think $5000 is. One Hudson County Family Court Judge may not seek to change custody easily while another may change custody quickly. Knowing your audience or in this case the family court Judge is very important in family law matters. In Hudson County Superior Court, the current Judges who decide domestic violence/restraining orders,  family issues/child custody are: Hon. Judge Kimberly Espinales-Maloney, Judge Arre, Judge Nesle Rodriguez, Judge Mirtha Ospina, Judge Maureen Mantineo, Judge Mark Baber, Judge Vito Sciancalepore and Judge Anthony D’Elia. If you have a case in Hudson County family court, contact the family law attorney and divorce attorneys at the Artusa Law Firm on 973-337-9643. We represent both mothers and fathers in Hudson County family court.

One of the newer Judges in Hudson County Family Court is Hon. Judge Kimberly Espinales-Maloney whose chambers are located at 595 Newark Avenue, Room 804, Jersey City, NJ 07306. The Judge has many years of experience in litigation and seeks to find solutions to cases but you must know what you are really seeking if you want to get it. Judge Vito Sciancalepore will decide Hudson County Restraining Order Cases/Domestic Violence Cases, non-dissolution (non-divorce cases) and dissolution cases (divorces) including child support and parenting time. As of now, Hon. Judge Kimberly Espinales-Maloney hears divorces, uncontested/no fault divorces and other post divorce family law matters.  Judge Vito Sciancalepore will take over Judge Arre’s docket and decided domestic violence and restraining order cases. Judge Arre will decide criminal cases again. The Artusa Law Firm is skilled in both family and criminal law litigation in Hudson County. To learn more about all of our legal services, visit- Artusa Law Firm of New Jersey or Contact us today on 973-337-9643.

pexels-photomotherRecently we had a case where the mother of the child was not allowed to have any overnight parenting time as per the father. This had gone on for years. Jersey City Family Law Attorney Santo Artusa filed a complaint/application to modify custody and/or parenting time. The father, who had been the custodial parent for approximately 2 years argued his case but after Judge Arre heard testimony he urged the attorneys to discuss the matter. Attorney Santo Artusa successfully negotiated joint/shared physical custody of 4 nights one week and 3 nights the alternate week.  For more information about child custody in New Jersey visit this New Jersey Child Custody Lawyer and about support, visit: New Jersey Child Support Lawyer.

Another Judge that hears many cases and is the Presiding Judge of the family division in Hudson County is Judge Maureen Mantineo. Judge Mantineo’s chambers are located where Judge Sogluizzo’s chambers were on the second floor of the Hudson County Superior Court. Judge Mantineo was the presiding judge of family years ago before taking time to work in the civil division. Her return is a welcome one as she knows how to get to the heart of the issues in the case, is polite, surprisingly patient and does not favor any particular litigant. Her courtroom is on the 2nd floor of the Superior Court. She handles divorces, child custody, child support, post divorce cases, parenting time and other family law issues.

When deciding you need to take the next step and seek court intervention to change a court order, obtain a court order, or enforce a court order, there are many rules that need to be followed and if time is important to you, you do not want to waste time filing for something that is not presented right or incorrectly because the Judge will deny it. By contacting Jersey City family law attorney Santo Artusa and his team at the Artusa Law Firm which handles a wide variety of family law cases in New Jersey, you can be assured that they will work hard on your case and do their best to present your case in the best light. If you seek a family law attorney for a child custody, restraining order/domestic violence case or other related matter, contact the Artusa Law Firm on 973-337-9643 today.


For information about the work we handle in father’s rights cases where we represent father’s in child custody, parenting time or child support issues, visit: New Jersey Father’s Rights Attorney. To read our press release about our recent successes in representing dads in court, visit: New Jersey Family Court Lawyer Success.

Jersey City Car Accident Lawyer

Shared Parenting and Divorce, When Does it Make Sense?

In the “old days” when people got divorced or when people decided not to live together anymore, the non-custodial parent would often have a “traditional” parenting schedule which usually consisted of every other weekend parenting time. This type of parenting time greatly limits a parents ability to actually parent and becomes the “fun” parent, taking the child to games, to activities while the custodial parent would make all the day to day decisions. This form of parenting time has been found to hurt children in some cases but in other cases, the children have stability and are not dizzy from all the back and forth from one home to the next. The age of the child is very important in the determination of parenting time. A child custody case can be a separate action or it could be part of a contested divorce.

In a recent case, the child was less than 5 years old. The father was not involved in the day to day activities and upbringing of the child despite lying under oath that he was very active. The father presented pictures of matching tooth brushes in the two different homes, matching plates, cups, etc., to avoid confusion. Well, his attempt failed as a child is not going to be confused about which color toothbrush will be there or what kind of dish he or she will eat on but the confusion comes to more important things which the absent father could not understand. For instance, the rules set by one parent may be different than the rules of the other, non-custodial parent. The bed time and routine of a young child is critical and if the parents cannot agree, a shared parenting schedule will not work at such a young age. Only an active parent would know that or someone with common sense, something that is often lacking in courts especially when litigants lie.

If you seek more information about child custody cases from Jersey City Child Custody Attorney Santo Artusa, click here. You can also click here to learn more about our child support cases and for our home page which outlines all of our family law services, click here.

We have successfully represented people concerning family law and divorce matters in the Hudson County Family Court, Essex County Family Court and other courts in New Jersey for parents in both situations. If you have a parenting time issue or custody case, contact us today for an appointment in our Jersey City office on 201-706-7910.

NJ-Child Support Lawyer

Keys to Obtaining Custody of Your Child or Have More Parenting Time


Seeking a family law attorney to help you obtain Custody of Your Child? Are you seeking a New Jersey Court order to have parenting time or visitation with your child? Do you have a court date with Judge Mirtha Ospina? Judge Anthony D’Elia?
We can Help You Right Away

This is What You Need to Know-We have been through this before.

As a New Jersey Family Law Attorney and Child Custody Attorney  handles requests for Parenting-Time in Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey, and throughout the State and I have seen and dealt with some very difficult situations. When parties argue, when parties go through a divorce, one party because of their anger or shock over the realization that the marriage is over can lead to one parent “poisoning” the children by talking negatively about the father or mother and this leads to alienation and the refusal to permit a parent to see their child. Father’s rights have become a more important and considered topic in the family courts today, more and more Judges are listening to fathers’ who want to see their children, who have been refused, who have suffered from the alienation. In cases where the parties were not married, the anger can still be present and the custodial parent can still talk about the other parent in a bad way which helps nobody. The Judges that decide these cases in Hudson County are: Judge Maureen Mantineo, Judge Mirtha Ospina, Judge Vito Sciancalepore, Judge Maloney-Espinales, Judge Nesle Rodriguez, Judge Mark Baber.

  • Do you have a court order in New Jersey for parenting time but want more time with your child?
  • Do you have a court order for parenting time and the custodial parent refuses to honor it?
  • Are you seeking a New Jersey court order granting you specific parenting time to avoid problems?  We can help you.

In my opinion, one of the hardest things in the world is not being able to see your child. Trust me, I know what it is like, I have been there before, it hurts, it is unfair but with the right plan, there is hope, a great deal of hope. If this occurs, contact the Family Law Attorney at the Artusa Law Firm today on 201-706-7910.  Dealing with not being able to see your child when you want to or even when you are “scheduled” to see your child, the custodial parent makes it near impossible to see the child, talk to the child, communicate in any fashion DONT LET THIS HAPPEN, contact an attorney. Even worse is if your child indicates that he or she wants to live with you but you feel helpless in putting your child in the middle. However, as time goes on, you may reach a tipping point where you have no choice but to seek custody or seek more parenting time. Regardless of how the parents feel about each other, the child needs BOTH parents. Alienating a child from one parent is a sin, it is abuse that your child feels.

Working with an aggressive attorney who can obtain a court order or enforce a court order for you is critical to your rights as a parent. For more information about the tools available in child custody and parenting time cases, please visit Hudson County Child Custody and Parenting Time Lawyer.  To read our post about parenting time in Hudson and Essex,https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Favvolawyers%2Fposts%2F1302286639786606&width=500

Seeking a court order or seeking to change a family court order can be difficult. With the right family law attorney, you increase your chances of success as like any other endeavor, the more you practice, the more you learn, and the more effective you become. We focus on family law matters in Hudson County, Essex County, Bergen County, Passaic County and Union County, New Jersey almost every day. We know when a case has merit, has a chance, and frankly when the case will not succeed on its face and we will not accept the case.

If you have reached that point where something has to change and you are ready to hire an attorney who understands the facets of child custody determinations and parenting time, contact us at the Artusa Law Firm today on 201-706-7910 for an appointment. Our office is located at 35 Journal Square Plaza, Suite 825, Jersey City, NJ 07306. To learn more about our different practice areas, visit our home page here: Artusa Law Firm-New Jersey Family Court Lawyers.

Jersey City Child Custody Lawyer
Jersey City Family Law Attorney
Jersey City Car Accident Lawyer


As a New Jersey Family Law and Child Custody Attorney in Hudson County, I am going to share some of the questions I hear during many of my family law consultations with regard to parenting time/visitation, child custody in my Jersey City, New Jersey office.

new jersey child custody lawyer

My ex girlfriend or spouse will not let me see my kids, do I need a court order in NJ?

Answer: While you do not need a court order to see your kids, if the mother or father does not let you see them, you do need a court order so that you have rights on paper, signed by a Judge. If he or she fails to honor that order, he or she can be held in contempt of court, be fined, and/or lose custody if it continues. NJ Child custody and parenting time attorney Santo Artusa and his team can help yo if you have a dispute with the custodial or non-custodial parent.

The mother only lets me see the children when she is around, is that fair? 

Absent certain circumstances (drugs, dangerous conditions, etc), you should be able to have parenting time without supervision. If she does not agree, you should hire an attorney and get your parenting rights on paper. You have equal rights. For more information about child custody and parenting time laws and issues in NJ, visit our page here.

artusalawfirmparentingtimeI have a court order and/or divorce judgment giving me parenting time but he or she does not comply, what can be done? 

Persistence is key. Filing an enforcement motion to enforce litigants rights for each time he or she disobeys an order, will get the Judge’s attention and one way or another, the non-complying parent will begin to follow the order or face legal consequences. Another important factor is to keep good records and obtain incident reports for every time the person does not comply. For information about our NJ enforcement services, visit this page.

new jersey child custody lawyerI want to see my kids more, what can I do?

If you and the custodial parent cannot agree, you should seek relief from the family court, seeking a definitive parenting schedule. The more of a detailed plan you have to see your kids, the better. The less chance you and the difficult parent will avoid war in family court or outside when you try to see your kids. Avoid this. Life can be hard enough, you do not need more stress. For information about how child support and parenting time are related, visit: New Jersey Child Support Lawyer.

Can I take my children on vacation out of the country or out of State? 

For out of the country, you would need the other parents consent. If he or she denies the consent, you must bring a court application to be permitted to travel with the kids out of the country with the itinerary, contact information, etc. For out of state, you usually need to inform the other party but do not need his or her consent unless there is a court order indicating so.

Do I need a family law attorney to file for parenting time? 

You can file by yourself, but it is suggested to hire an experienced family lawyer that can help you navigate through the New Jersey Family Law Courts and present your case for you.

When I have parenting time, the other parent calls me like 10 times in a day, is that fair or necessary?

You should permit open contact when you have the kids but it should not be more than 1 or 2 times in a day. You deserve your free time with your children.

The father of my children always brings the children back late, what can I do about it? 

Again, through an enforcement motion, the parent can be held in contempt because he must respect your time and you should respect his. Being 10-20 minutes late is one thing, but if he or she is late more than 45 minutes or more, you should address this in court, you have a life, you have plans too!

Hudson County Child Custody Lawyer
Hudson County Child Custody Lawyer Santo Artusa

My child is doing terrible in school and the mother is doing nothing about it, and my child keeps missing school or is late, what can be done? 

Depending on more information, you may have a case for residential custody and or more parenting time.

Thank you for reading my sample questions and answers about parenting time issues. If you feel you have a parenting time case or possibly a child custody case in Hudson County, Jersey City,  or anywhere in New Jersey, contact my team at the Artusa Law Firm today on 201-706-7910 for professional representation. For more information about all of the legal services we offer in New Jersey, visit: Artusa Law Firm. For information about where family court cases are decided in New Jersey, visit our custom map below:



Child Support in New Jersey is calculated by adding relevant information into what are know as the NJ Child Support Guidelines. Pictures of what the guidelines look like are above for your review. Information used include:  weekly wages, annual income, work related day care costs, the amount of overnight parenting time each parent has, whether a sole parenting or shared parenting worksheet should be used, cost of health insurance for the child, whether union dues are paid, mandatory pension contributions, etc.

To help you understand, I will go through the New Jersey sole parenting child support guideline,  so that it is understood:



For more information about our family law services and representation, please visit our main page here or for information about child custody in Hudson County and beyond click on the links above.






Do you have a Jersey City child custody, parenting time, divorce, or family law case in Jersey City-Hudson County Family Court?

  • Do you have an upcoming case before Judge Nelse Rodriguez in Jersey City?
  • The Hudson County Family Law and Divorce Lawyers at the Artusa Law Firm can help you immediately. Contact us today to see if we will accept your case on 201-706-7910, we can help.

Do you have a case before the Honorable Judge Nesle Rodriguez in the Jersey City-Hudson County Family Court located at 595 Newark Avenue, Room 706, Jersey City, NJ? Judge Rodriguez hears and decides child custody, child support, divorce, parenting time, college contribution costs, medical reimbursements, enforcement of court orders, motions to reconsider, emergency hearings and beyond. As of the time of this blog, the Judge is only one of three judges focusing on matrimonial issues in Jersey City-Hudson County, which is crazy if you think about it because the court is considered a high volume courthouse. Judge Rodriguez was the head judge in the Jersey City Municipal Court prior to her appointment to the Superior Court. Judge Carlo Abad became the head judge in the municipal court in courtroom 4 located at 365 Summit Avenue, Jersey City, NJ.

The majority of cases heard by Judge Rodriguez were driving while intoxicated, driving while impaired, criminal cases, drug possession cases and other matters. In the family court, the Judge tries to focus on solution to family law issues between the parties without having to issue a judgment or order if she does not have to. It is her belief, like many judges that people benefit from have input as to the relief they seek instead of a family law judge who is trying to figure out what the truth is. The Judge pays particular attention to the credibility of the parties, their demeanor, their respect for the court and like always, their appearance.

Jersey City Car Accident Lawyer
Jersey City Family Court Attorney


My office has successfully appeared before Judge Rodriguez in Jersey City Family Court for numerous cases including: divorce trials, uncontested divorces, settled divorces by way of property settlement agreement, consent orders, New Jersey child custody applications, emergency proceedings, New Jersey child support modifications, motions to reconsider, alimony modifications, motions to release passports, motions to permit travel outside of the United States, motions to relocate out of the State of New Jersey, emancipation cases, child tax deduction disputes, and parenting time cases/parenting time modifications.

While every case is different, it is very important to know the style of the Judge you appear before. Knowing what to say and what not to say is very important when presenting a case before a family court judge in New Jersey because the judge is the jury in a family law case. Knowing your audience will only give you a better chance to persuade the court for your client. For example, you would not argue before a blind judge that your client who can only see out of one eye cannot work, the Judge will throw you out of the court! (not really but I do not think your argument will go far). Jersey City family court attorney Santo Artusa and his team are skilled in child custody and child support related issues before Judge Rodriguez, Judge Ospina and other Jersey City-Hudson County Judges in family court. We are ready to represent your interests today. Our office is located less than half a mile from the Jersey City courts including the family and criminal courts and we can help you today, even on short notice. We can be reached for a consultation on the phone on 201-706-7910 to see if it makes sense to work together on your issue.


If you received court papers indicating you must appear in court or motion papers that indicate you must respond in writing to the Jersey City-Hudson County Family Courty, you should contact a  local Jersey City family law attorney immediately as you only have a certain amount of time to respond to the paperwork you received.

For information about other family law Judges in Hudson County Family Court click on the links :such as Judge Mark Baber or Judge Arre or Hudson County Family Law Judges.

If you have a family law case before the Judge and seek legal representation in Jersey City-New Jersey, please contact  us on 201-706-7910 today for a confidential appointment.



Knowing When to Walk Away in Domestic Disputes

Every Couple I know, has fought one way or another, over one thing or another whether it is over finances, infidelity, in-laws, drug and alcohol issues and beyond, people argue, it is part of being a human being. The question is when is it time to walk away? Some times one of the parties need to get up and leave for the short term or leave for good. Some situations can easily rise to the level of no return and that is the last thing anyone needs. If a situation is getting worse and you have expressed your desire to be left alone, to have the person stop contacting you, to stop harassing you or invading your personal space in your home, it may be wise to leave. It could be wise to take a picture of the person who is fighting with you and a picture of yourself especially if you have been hit or physically hurt in anyway. The goal is to be able to walk away before things get violent or arguments happen in front of the children, they do not need to see that.

Domestic Violence includes: harassment, assault, criminal mischief, sexual assault, stalking, terroristic threats, lewdness, criminal trespass, burglary, criminal sexual contact, false imprisonment, kidnapping, criminal restraint, and homicide.

You may be married, you may live together, you may be dating, you may have a child together, either way, when it appears that there is no turning back or you need to protect yourself and seek an attorney to help you through the family law or criminal courts, contact us on 201-706-7910.

Settling a Family Law/Divorce Dispute vs. Going to Trial

During the divorce process or a different family law dispute, you have an opportunity to resolve your case through a settlement agreement or by having a judge decide. When you have a judge decide, what you get is a decision. With a decision, many people feel the judge does not know or missed certain points but the truth is, judges are busy and try to be fair to both parties but often, in family court, the outcome is worse than reaching an agreement. When making an agreement, both parties have input, in a trial, it is one person against another and many times what is said is lost somewhere in the middle. A sign of a reasonable deal is where both parties made concessions and can live with the deal. On the other hand, when the Judge renders a final order, your say is finished (except for an even more costly appeal). When you have a family law or divorce case, do your best to work with a lawyer who wants to help you settle, or a lawyer who will mediate between the two of you. Aside from that, have the mindset that you want to resolve the matter too. Making completely unreasonable demands will only make the other side walk away from the table.

In the end, the best way to settle your case is to be prepared. A lack of preparation is a sure way to fail. Prepare, Prepare and Prepare more. If the other side knows you are ready to litigate, they will be more inclined to settle.

You Can Only Win What You Can Prove in Court-Lessons From the Tom Brady Scandal

While many of us may think we know, or in fact to do know that Tom Brady had something to do with the deflating of footballs and how the New England Patriots have been caught in the past cheating, but unless you have evidence, you cannot prove it in court and will lose. The same holds true in family and divorce court. I wife may claim her husband has $300,000 in cash or in a Colombian bank account, but unless you can prove that, you are going nowhere. In the case with Brady, the NFL Commissioner had every chance to settle the case but pressed on with the little to no evidence he had, losing the case. The same holds true in many divorce and family law cases as people make accusation after accusation without proof and waste the court’s time, their lawyer’s time, and money. You have to know when to fold and when to make the best out of the situation. The football commissioner had his chance but blew it. Don’t do the same for your family law, divorce or criminal law case.

If you have a family law case in New Jersey, contact the Artusa Law Firm team on 201-706-7910 today.