Changing from Sole Legal Custody to Joint Legal Custody in New Jersey

New Jersey Custody Lawyer Santo Artusa

In a divorce or in a non-divorce case about child custody, whether it is joint-legal custody, sole legal to joint-legal, shared custody, residential custody, the options, the types of custody and terms can be confusing. As a Family Law Attorney in Jersey City, New Jersey working on complex family law matters, I am experienced in this field and will explain getting from sole legal custody to joint legal and the child custody factors involved in the New Jersey Child Custody Laws.

If you have a custody order for your child or are seeking one, the court focuses on many important factors in making a decision for this important legal issue and for the best interest of your child.

In order to change from sole legal custody to joint legal custody you need to be able to prove that a significant change in circumstances has occurred and warrants a change in the court order. You may be able to do this by spending more time with the child, showing your care for the child, working better with the custodial parent, obtaining a more proactive and consistent parenting time schedule, obtaining a shared parenting time schedule, being more involved or other significant reason.

One example of a major change is: You may have improved your mental health and physical health so that you are able to be a co-parent. Another is that: You've beaten addiction so that you have more time with the children and can maintain a custody schedule that the kids can rely on. You may have moved closer to your child. The custodial parent may be neglecting the child or for other reasons you may be able to change custody.

There are always opportunities to get back into your child's life, improve the relationship, help when it counts and so on. It may not be an easy road but it is a road that you can travel and reach your goal for joint legal custody. Before I was a child custody lawyer in Jersey City, I was a litigant in family court fighting for parenting time and custody. I can relate.

If the custodial parent does not agree to change legal custody you will have to go to trial or what is known as a plenary hearing where you can call witnesses, present evidence and the like. The Judge will then decide if legal custody should be changed. As a Hudson County Family Court Lawyer, I have won many trials for sole custody, joint custody, a change of custody, residential custody and so on in the New Jersey Family Courts. To discuss your case in full confidence I do offer up to a 30 minute fee consultation to discuss these matters on the phone to see if it makes sense to work together or if you even have a case. If you want to discuss, contact us on 973-337-9643

Santo V. Artusa, Jr.

Santo V. Artusa, Jr.

Since 2009, Mr. Artusa has dedicated his career to representing clients in and near Jersey City in family law and criminal cases. He is a skilled negotiator and litigator who has received a range of prestigious recognitions, including:

  • The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
  • Avvo 10.0 Superb Rating
  • Client Distinction Award 2015

For more information about our legal services, contact our office online or call (973) 337-9643 today.

Contact Us Today

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite

Jersey City Office

26 Journal Square Plaza
Ste 603
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Closed Today

Jersey City Office

121 Newark Avenue
Second Floor
Jersey City, NJ 07306

Closed Today

By Appointment

Hoboken Office

50 Harrison Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030

Closed Today

By Appointment

Passaic County Office

3 Hoover Avenue
Passaic, NJ 07055

Open Today 9:00am - 5:00pm

What is the best time for you?

Add additional time

Which location would you prefer?

Tell us a bit about yourself...

(973) 337-9643 Send a message