Domestic Abuse/Violence in New Jersey and leaving your partner/spouse. Views from the inside. Views from the inside is a blog by Hudson County New Jersey Family Law and New Jersey Divorce Lawyer Santo Artusa and what he sees as a divorce/family lawyer, father, husband, family man, businessman in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Sadly, New Jersey is a no fault state in terms of divorce. However, that does not mean you cannot file for divorce in Hudson County New Jersey Family Court based on extreme cruelty and for other reasons that include domestic abuse/domestic violence, a sad reality that remains in our country and is culturally accepted in some cultures but not in this office and not in the courts. If you hit my daughter, you are dead. As a Jersey City-Hudson County divorce attorney, I have seen and handled many difficult situations and I know I can help you if you are ready to. Domestic abuse is not just about women its also about men being mentally and physically abused. It is not a weakness to be hit and not fight back, it is not a weakness to admit someone abuses you in one way or the other. It happens everyday to both genders and it must be stopped and you must get our before the worse two things happen: 1. Your kids see this behavior and 2. You get killed or you kill your spouse defending yourself.
Below are 7 reasons to file for divorce or consider when you seek a divorce in New Jersey and domestic violence/abuse is involved.
- First, if you are in the early stages of your marriage and there is domestic abuse already and you do not have children, why stay in the marriage? Get out while you are young and while you have need been harmed for that long.
- The longer you stay, the harder it is to leave.
- If your spouse abuses you, and you have children and they witness this, they are more prone to be abusive or be in an abusive relationship, is that fair? No its not.
- You may believe you can shield your kids or family from the abuse you feel inside but your family will know you are suffering because of the intensity of it. This will hurt you and your health.
- Be fair to yourself. Respect yourself. Do not let anyone hit you, mentally abuse you. Life is too short to live that way. Begin to take positive steps.
- You can always file for a restraining order to get your spouse out of the home to protect yourself. If the abuse is more verbal, you can still do that but if you feel physically safe it may be best to just file the divorce and handle the next steps that way.
- You can still obtain a divorce based on abuse/extreme cruelty even if you never called the police. The fact is many people never call the police in a domestic abuse/violence situation. Many people are scared and or ashamed. We can help you and advise you.
- Does your spouse take advantage that your family lives in another country or far from the marital home/apartment? I see this a lot where a spouse takes advantage of the fact that the wife/husband’s family, close friends live in India, Pakistan, China, France, Italy, parts of Africa.
Divorce is rarely a pleasant experience but nor is surgery but when you have to get rid of the cancer in your body, you must do what you have to do to save yourself. As the tension rises between you and your spouse, only bad things can happen from there if you do not begin taking steps to get out of the marriage. If you are ready to file for divorce and/or can no longer take the abuse or fake accusations of abuse, contact my Jersey City family law team on 201-706-7910 today for a confidential appointment.