As experienced divorce lawyers and divorce mediators in New Jersey, I have seen cases that can be resolved in a friendly fashion turn nasty and other cases that start nasty end civil. Anything can happen with the right attitude and the right plan, just as it can with the wrong plan and wrong attitude. A lot of how your divorce or family law case goes really depends on your attitude and your expectations. Below I offer some tips to avoid a messy divorce case in New Jersey. Other tips I offer are just life tips in general when dealing with difficult situations, albeit, many are easier said than done.
- Try your best to be respectful to your spouse and his or her attorney. “You get more with honey than vinegar.”
- Write down what you are flexible on and what you are not and why.
- Refrain from engaging with your spouse’s family and friends if they are part of he problem.
- Do not flaunt your new girlfriend/boyfriend, expensive car, etc. Limit social media.
- Never use the children as pawns in your plan.
- Set time aside for yourself during a divorce to de-stress, regain energy and focus.
- If you have children, adore them and give them your full attention.
While this is only a short list, I think you get the point. Stay positive, keep trying your best to think of the big picture as there will be hurdles along the way but no hurdle is high or tough enough to beat patience and proper planning.