A Child Relocation Attorney Protecting the Best Interests of Your Family
Jersey City Family Law Attorney Santo Artusa and his team handle child relocation cases in Jersey City Family Court, Bergen County Family Court, Essex County family court and beyond. When you face an issue concerning child relocation, you need to find a family law attorney right away.
- Relocation of a child out of the State of New Jersey requires the moving party to show that it it is in the best interests of the child
- The moving party must show which school the child will attend
- Where they would live
- Offer a new parenting plan
- Show that there is adequate medical facilities and doctors in the area
- We can go over the critical facts as to whether you seek to move or want to defend against relocation
Relocation can change your life dramatically and you want to make sure you are working with an experienced family law attorney in your area to protect your rights so that depending on if you are trying to leave or if you are fighting the relocation that a fair outcome can occur. We have handled many child relocation cases in New Jersey. The Artusa Law Firm is skilled in family law and divorce litigation in Hudson, Bergen, Essex, Union and Passaic Counties in New Jersey.
As a family law attorney, I often hear the following questions:
- WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO RELOCATE OUT OF STATE WITH MY CHILD?
- WHAT IF THE FATHER DOES NOT AGREE, WHAT CAN I DO TO RELOCATE WITH MY CHILD?
- HOW CAN A PARENT STOP A RELOCATION REQUEST IN NJ?
Changes in Relocation Law
Family law attorney Santo Artusa has seen the changes in the New Jersey Superior Family Courts over the years. The Jersey City Family Court is no different. Relocating outside of New Jersey with your child is no longer as easy as before.
Jersey City Family Law Attorney Santo Artusa knows how to win relocation cases throughout New Jersey.
Jersey City-Hudson County Child Custody and Child Relocation Attorney Santo Artusa is experienced in bringing applications for custodial parents who seek to relocate out of the State of New Jersey and representing non-custodial parents who seek to defend against having a child relocate out of New Jersey.
We have been successful in representing custodial parents and non-custodial parents in Jersey City, Elizabeth, Somerset, Hackensack and Newark, New Jersey who are fighting a child relocation case.
We Can Help You Protect Your Parent-Child Relationship
While the world has become more connected through electronic applications, iPhones, Skype, Google Chat, and so forth, that does not mean that electronic communication can substitute for in-person contact. The “average” parent wants to see their child in person as often as possible. While new age communications help in certain ways it cannot replace seeing and hugging your child.
Jersey City Family Law Attorney Santo Artusa knows how to win relocation cases throughout New Jersey. Aside from child relocation cases, we handle divorces, child custody, child support, father’s rights and other family law matters in Hudson County, Bergen County, Essex County and beyond.
Family Law Attorney Santo Artusa has been selected as a Super Lawyer
"Very good lawyer. Worked hard daily on my family case and took my calls. I felt like Mr. Artusa treated my issue as if it was his own and his staff was great. Was able to negotiate a reasonable price within my budget. Recommending to family and friends!! Thanks Mr. Artusa!"
Understanding Your Rights
- Have you received court papers that the mother or father of your child is seeking to relocate with your child outside of New Jersey? If so, contact us.
- Has the custodial parent offered you a parenting plan if he or she is permitted to leave?
- Are you seeking to move out of New Jersey with your child? We can help.
In order for a parent to relocate out of state with a New Jersey child, that parent needs a court order or permission from the non-custodial parent. In order to get a court order in a New Jersey Family Court, you would need to address many factors in order to prevail. The Artusa Law Firm can help you in your child relocation case in any county in New Jersey.
Factors Which Can Impact Your Case
- What is the reason for the move?
- Is the move made in good faith?
- What parenting schedule are you offering the non-custodial parent if you are permitted to move?
- How will the move affect the other familial relationships that the child has now?
- Depending on the age of the child, what is the child’s preference?
- Are there similar extracurricular activities, doctors, medical access similar or better than those available now?
- How do the schools compare in the proposed location?
- Is the proposed area safe?
- Is the child entering his or her senior year of high school?
- Where and whom would the parent live with?
Parenting Time and Relocation
Each child relocation case is fact specific. Some clients who contest the move or seek the move, also hire doctors to testify that the move would be in the best interests of the child or that the move would not be detrimental to the child.
How the case is handled will depend on how often the child sees the non-custodial parent.
- If there is frequent contact and parenting time, it will be harder to have the move/relocation application to be granted because the best interests of the child standard would be used similarly to a change in a custody case.
- If the parenting time is occasional (every other weekend, etc), it is more the best interests of the custodial parent standard which is easier to prevail on.
There is New Jersey case law on point with regard to shared parenting arrangements and seeking to move and traditional parenting schedules and seeking to relocate.
"After a terrible attorney search, Santo was key to the outcome of my situation. He never treated me like I was another client. He took the time to listen and hear what I had to say and the result was due to him. He actually is an attorney that listens and cares. Not the typical situation! I'm more than happy. Santo is the real deal. He will help."
Tips for Winning Your Case
With the mobility of today’s society, child relocation cases are being brought to court more and more and the Hudson County Family Court is no different. We have been successful in New Jersey relocating and defending relocation cases without a hearing because we have been able to prove one side has not met their legal burden.
Showing that you are offering a parenting schedule for the child and non-custodial parent is a critical factor in the case.
Some cases require a full hearing and we are ready to do so as well. If you are trying to relocate, it is important to have a plan, have job interviews or even better a job lined up, show the cost of living in the new location, compare the schools, the quality of life and be mindful of the other parent.
Showing that you are offering a parenting schedule for the child and non-custodial parent is a critical factor in the case. Not being flexible or even offering a plan can lead your case to be dismissed.
Get the Support You Need
If you have a child relocation case in Hudson County, New Jersey, contact our team online or at (973) 337-9643 to discuss your case in full confidence with one of our Jersey City family law attorneys.